Okay so it’s not quite the first day of Christmas, but it’s the 1st December, and however much of a scrooge you are, Christmas-time is just around the corner!
You’ve opened the first window of your advent calendar, and you’re singing along to Mariah Carey and starting to get in the Christmas spirit, so today I thought I’d share with you my recipe for a lower-calorie mulled wine! A rich and spicy winter warmer to keep you snug on those chilly winter evenings… or lunchtimes…. or even mornings (I’m not judging!!) – who needs an excuse for a mulled wine in the winter anyway!?
Now I know Christmas is definitely not a time to be counting calories, and I certainly won’t be, but if you enjoy mulled wine as much as I do, it just means you can drink more of it and not feel quite so bad! So here we go…
1 bottle/75cl red wine (I find chianti works well!)
125ml orange juice
50g stevia sweetener
1 grated lemon zest
1 grated orange zest
1 large orange (with peel)
2 star anise
1 cinnamon stick
1 vanilla pod
½ tsp ginger
1. Take the large orange and slice it on it’s side into thick chunky circles and place in a pan.
2. Grate the zest of 1 lemon and the zest of your other orange and add it to the orange chunks.
3. Take your vanilla pod and slice it lengthways and chuck that in too, along with the remaining ingredients on the list (minus the wine).
4. Measure out a large glass of wine – right to the very top, and take a big sip to test it’s okay! (this is a MUST!!)
5. Add that wine into the pan and bring up to a medium heat.
6. Put the lid on the pan and simmer for a few minutes, to help infuse all the flavours.
7. Add the rest of the wine and leave on a low heat for 10 – 15 minutes.
8. Serve up and enjoy! x